Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Northern Pride Presidents Dinner & Monkeys

Wednesday, August 27 - Sheldon



On August 27 I was invited by the Northern Pride UniServ Unit to address their Presidents Dinner in Sheldon.

The evening started off with introductions. I was impressed with the array of members representing K-12, Community College, and ESP members. After some announcements we enjoyed dinner.

Following dinner I addressed the group of approximately 25. After giving a brief introduction of myself, I touched on the importance of membership and the upcoming elections. Following my "formal" remarks I took questions from the group. The question topics ranged from PAC to the possibility of fair share passing to the ISEA disaster relief fund.

I enjoyed spending the evening with the leaders of Northern Pride. I am also beginning to experience and appreciate the differences in the units and locals from around the state. I am finding there are many similarities, but I am also finding they each have their own unique issues to deal with.

Thanks to President Neil Bracker, Executive Board Member Geneva Grooters, UniServ Director Mora Zinn, and Unit Secretary Denise Cook for their hospitality during my visit.

Monkeys Move Into Office

At the same time I have been personally transitioning from Knoxville to Des Moines, my collection of sock monkeys have made their way from my house to my office.
The monkeys, all made by ISEA retired member from Council Bluffs, Wanda Synhorst, greet visitors to my office as they walk in the door. They sit on a chair decorated by former ISEA President Linda Nelson and ISEA staff person Sheryl Ballard.
If you don't know the story of the monkeys and me, ask sometime when you have time for a long story.

No comments: